Friday, August 14, 2015

"Climate change": And another thing ...

I have been given cause to believe that my previous entry was lacking as it did not address the "elephant in the room" regarding an environmentally friendly planet.
Population.
Isn't it all for naught to fight "climate change," or advocate recycling or bicycling to work and whatever else these hippies come up with, when no-one dares to tackle population growth, either through cowardice or an unwillingness to believe it's an issue?
We're going to have 11.2 billion people by 2100, according to the U.N. Yes, I know, the U.N. But this is a statistic I can believe.
Now because I'm concerned about this does not mean that I am some Planned Parenthood-embracing fanatic encouraging abortions at every turn. I do not see, however, what is so wrong with educating people in the third world about family planning.
God did tell Adam and Eve in the Book of Genesis, "As for you, be fruitful and multiply; Populate the earth abundantly and multiply in it." I doubt very seriously that He intended for us to duplicate so much that space and resources on the planet come at a desperate premium. Is that what God wanted? For constant war to break out because there are simply too many people competing for too few life-sustaining supplies?
Sorry, I don't buy it for one moment.
Environmental activist George Monbiot doesn't think it's a problem. And I have to agree that the poorer you are, the less likely you are to produce carbon emissions. But that, as I think I'm trying to make clear, is not the central issue. We're so wrapped up in the climate change fairy tale, that we can't separate it from any other problem affecting life on this planet.
Humans have a right to be on this Earth. We are as much a part of its fabric, its life-affirming matrix, as any other living being. But we cannot keep up this fallacy that certain populations can breed out of control, such as in Africa and such as in Asia, and that it won't ever become a problem, for us and for every other living creature daring to try to live here.
For those who wish to imply that I'm racist because I'm singling out Africa and Asia, those are the two most troublesome population boom centers of the globe, like it or not. I'm just providing the facts. I'd be saying the exact same thing about Ireland or Norway or the Czech Republic if their population numbers produced a parabolic curve so steep that not even Tony Hawk would dare to descend it.
Folks, it's all BS of the highest degree to talk of any issue involving environmental awareness until we're willing to challenge the sanguinity regarding world population growth.

No comments: