Friday, January 29, 2010

One case to be put to bed

I had to laugh at the plight of one Elaine Carmody who was told to leave a supermarket in Wales for shopping in her pyjamas. But even more amusing than that is the fact that Ms. Carmody thought she was presentable because she was in her "best" PJs.
Tesco doesn't agree that anyone in pyjamas or nightgowns, or any other sleep-time attire, constitutes a tidy look. The store banned all nightwear in addition to bare feet. Bravo to them.
Firstly, I cannot comprehend why anyone wears those ridiculous things in the first place. I ditched pyjamas at the age of 13 and I've never gone back to them. Never even been tempted to. A plush bathrobe warms me up just fine for puttering around the apartment at night or on lazy days off. However, I wouldn't expect any retailer to let me onto their premises dressed like that. (No danger of me "flashing," but, hey, you know ...!)
Secondly, what on earth are people thinking when they go shopping in PJs and slippers? Some people are natural attention-getters/exhibitionists. Others tend to think of their local supermarket as an extension of their home. But, more than anything, it's the fact that people dress so down these days, they no longer know what's appropriate.
To see what happens when a store does not have some kind of dress code, you only have to visit the hilarious site People of Walmart. Men in hot pants, women in thongs, people with liberal amounts of ass-crack showing. It's all there.
I enjoy grocery shopping, believe it or not (I'm a domestic little dragon; just don't ask me to go clothes shopping). But when I'm pushing my carriage through the aisles, I would like to concentrate on what I went in the store for: groceries. I don't go shopping to look at other people's underwear—or lack of it—or pyjamas. Other shoppers feel the same.
In response to the Tesco ban on nightwear, one customer said, "I'm not a killjoy, but it is embarrassing seeing so many people shopping in their pyjamas and slippers. It is almost as if people have given up and forgotten the basic rules of civility."
And how.
A Tesco spokesman explained the supermarket's ban: "We're not a nightclub with a strict dress code, and jeans and trainers are of course more than welcome. We do, however, request that customers do not shop in their PJs or nightgowns. This is to avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others."
In other words, Tesco is not asking that their customers come attired in ballgowns and top hats, but to recognize the basics of civilized clothing. Not an unreasonable request by any means.
Carmody, however, does not get it. "I go in other shops in my pyjamas and they don't say anything," she protests. "You used to always be allowed in Tesco. But not now—it is ridiculous and stupid. I've got lovely pairs of pyjamas, with bears and penguins on them. I've worn my best ones today, just so I look tidy."
I mean, c'mon folks—bear- and penguin-themed pyjamas! How can anyone possibly object?
People can have legitimate grievances against supermarkets like Tesco for their overzealous monopolizing, disregard for farm animal welfare and lax enviornmental standards, including their plastic bag fetish.
But not allowing people in pyjamas in their stores? Hardly a reason to kick up a fuss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's up to them if they don't want the custom I suppose, but I don't see flanelette PJs as any different to jogging pants, full PJs are probably a lot less revealing than some 'day time' attire like too short shorts and ass-crack revealing jeans. I could care less if other customers come in it their pyjamas. I might snigger but I certainly don't object. What next, they won't let me in 'cause my hair is greasy?

goddessdivine said...

You know society has gone downhill when it's almost the norm for one to shop in pajamas and slippers.....and to force stores to ban such attire. I chalk it up to the lack of respect that is infiltrating people's attitudes--mostly the young. People have no respect for themselves or others, and the fine line between what is proper and what is not has become whitewashed. Such a shame.

Mrs Andy said...

When I was teaching the school admin had to add this type of provision to the dress code. All the girls whinged about "I need to wear something comfortable during my period", to which I replyed, that is not an excuse in the real world....deal with it, now put your pants on! Good going Tesco!!

Grandma and Me Soaps said...

I work at a VA hospital and I am constantly amazed at what employee's feel is appropriate apparel for the work environment. I have seen more cleavage than at Victoria’s Secret, more upper thigh than in Las Vegas, shirts with more wrinkles than my 97-year-old grandmother. Bad hair days to include all colors of the rainbow sported by people in their 50s, beards that clearly state “Where all the bad things roam”, and those who have never seen a dentist, but is the Tooth Fairy’s favorite customer. Walmart has nothing on the VA.

Get Clean